Art film to zombie flick

I watch 'em all

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Terminator Salvation

Ok - so fair disclosure - I love the Terminator series in a big old geektastic way. I don't think any of the four are in any way shape or form great art, I do think they are in many ways fabulous entertainment.

I read a critique of this movie the other day that basically said it was a miserable failure, and I had to ask myself if they had actually watched the same movie that I had. Because I thought Terminator: Salvation was the second best of the series (because c'mon - what's gonna top T2?)

So to list the great things about this movie:
Things go *boom* - ALOT.
Sam Worthington doesn't make my eyes bleed. Neither does Christian Bale. Moon Bloodgood also doesn't suck to have to look at.
The kid who plays Kyle Reese (Jon Conner's dad) is just one of my new favorite adorkable actors.
The sound effects for the machines! (and seriously - all those who compare the machines to the Transformers? While the cartoon was out before this movie series began - the way the machines looked and acted had already posited years before Michael Bay gave us his vision of the Decipticon. So McG wasn't *stealing* from those movies - it was sticking to what had come before in this series - so get over your damn selves.)
The DETAILS they kept and used from the first three - awesome continuity! I LOVE when they do that. Makes my nerd heart beat faster in glee.
Things go boom - alot.
It's ugly in the future after Judgement Day - just like Kyle Reese came back and told us in that first movie, I enjoy watching the whole series and it's ever decreasing since of hope for the future, even as it's the only thing that is left to which to cling.

I think it's a good story. I think it's well told. I think it fits beautifully into the storyline of the Terminators. I think it has lots of good effects and action.

I love this movie. But - it's only a sci/fi action flick! Don't expect depth! No one is winning an Oscar for acting in this thing either! Be excited by the little geeky things, and have fun with it, and I think you might at least think it was worth the rental

No comments:

Post a Comment